Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The Friend Box Part 2

As I said previously, my approach was askew. Once I realized that I had to put myself in check, I began to create an improved point of view to dating. First, I decided that I really needed to get to know a guy before I even think that there is an inkling of a chance of a relationship. Just as a general question, how can you know that you want a relationship with someone if you don't know anything about him or her? I don't think its possible really. So, to get back to the subject of the title of my blog, I thought it was important that I develop a meaningful friendship with any man I decide to be with. I soon came to the realization that this type of thinking has also landed me in trouble. Let me explain why.

First, I had this larger-than-life crush on my best friend. I'm sure it's happen to many people. The person you spend the most time with and feel most comfortable with, is bound to be the person you think you can truly connect to on different levels. Well, eventually I decided to tell my best friend that I really wanted a relationship with him. He informed me that he liked me as just a friend. Ok. I can accept that, not that I have a choice anyway.

After many discussions later, my best friend told me that for him, once he views you as a friend and he puts you in that box, or shall I say category, it's hard for him to view you as otherwise. I was confused and still am perplexed about his ideology.
A period of time later, I've started to develop an interest for someone else. To make a long story short, my current interest has dated a lot and has only had two serious relationships. Furthermore, he's never dated a friend, nor has he ever considered it--not that he is opposed to the idea. I guess the opportunity has never presented itself?
Ok, again.
Now, he doesn't know my feelings for him because I'm waiting for an appropriate time to tell him. I also want to still get to know him. After hearing the above, I was kinda concerned. He considers me his friend, and I the same; however, could I possibly be screwing up my chances by being his friend? The whole thing is quite baffling because I always thought that the most successful relationships came from two people who considered each other as best friends. And shouldn't that person you strive to date be a good friend to you? How can you be anything else when you can't even manage to be friends to begin with? I know I'm throwing out a lot of questions, but I'm really perplexed. Is it that we, as a society, are in too big of a rush to jump into relationships without truly dating and getting to know each other first? Are we scared of being single?
Of course I shall keep one and all updated on the outcome of my dilemma (if there even is one). I would just like some answers because I'm confused about how men approach relationships.
Is it possible to get out of the friend box and how do we do that?

Confusingly yours,
Jillian

5 comments:

  1. I agree that the best relationships work when two people are friends.

    But there's getting to know someone on a friend level because you want to work towards a relationship and then because you just want to work towards being friends.

    Being banished to the friend zone can be so frustrating. Guys always complain that it happens to them, but I think it happens to us girls all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the friendship comes after the acknowledgment that there is an interest beyond being platonic--while you are officially dating. I think it is wise to tell someone that you are romantically interested in them before you develop a friendship. Getting out of the friendship box can be hard once you are there. I wouldn't date any of my friends either, so I understand where your friend is coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C.L., Thanks for your comment! I appreciate the advice. I suppose my concern is when to tell someone that you are romantically interested. I see exactly where you are coming from, but then again, I know many people that feel uncomfortable when they are asked out by someone they don't feel better familiar with. Dating is a complicated process in general. If you don't mind me asking, why wouldn't you want to date one of your friends?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A.Smith,
    It definitely it frustrating, especially when you feel that you want to take your time and not rush into a relationship, immediately.

    ReplyDelete